My wonderful roommate opted to be my guinea pig and be featured in my first questionnaire surrounding dating in college. Erin is a junior elementary education major, vice president of finance for her sorority and secretary of her business fraternity. When she’s not poring over receipts or sending mass emails, you can find her doing prep work for her Mizzou Alternative Break mission trip to Hohenwald, Tennessee. Even though she bribed me to be her roommate by reminding me she is a two-year Starbucks employee, I’ve loved getting to know her better these past several weeks. I also know that there will be many crazy memories to come. She is one of the kindest women I know but can still command attention whenever needed. She can always commiserate about stress as well because she’s one of the few people who is busier than I am. She did manage to block out about 10 minutes to talk to me about her take on dating in college, though.
- Are you currently dating someone?
No, not right now
- When was your last relationship?
Spring of my sophomore year in college
- Why did it end?
*looks around as if trying to remember* Oh, we decided to be just friends
- How long was your longest relationship?
A year during my senior year in high school
- What do you think are some of the differences between dating in high school versus dating in college?
In high school you don’t have as much freedom but you can see your boyfriend every day. In college you have to learn to make time to see him but you have more freedom.
- How would you describe the dating scene here at Mizzou?
I think people are either in really serious relationships or they’re just hooking up or casually dating. I like the environment here.
- How would you describe the dating scene for people ages 18-22?
I think Mizzou is a pretty solid example.
- How do you normally meet people?
Through organizations I’m involved in
- Would you say that most of your friends have found long-term relationships at school? Why do you think that is?
No… because boys want to be single in college and they can have girls who don’t want a commitment, so they have no need for girls who want a commitment.
- If you could tell your freshman self something about dating in college what would it be?
Don’t worry about it; it’ll come if it’s meant to come.